Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Moody Loner Reads the Qu'ran

In case you've been wondering what happened to me.

I saw some Muslims - in what had to be the ballsiest move I've seen in some time - at the mall with one of those Jehovah's Witnesses tables with literature about Islam. And not just any Muslims, either - if you's asked me to draw a caricature of a Musim couple it would have looked like these two. The man had the most impressive beard I've ever seen in my life, with what I presume was a woman peering out at me from what was probably too nice to be called a burqua.

Anyway, I got scared that my family would be there when the shit went down, which pissed me off that I have to feel that way in the United States of America - which culminated in me asking for information about Islam. See, unlike a Bushite, I know I'm only getting half the story, and the half that Iam getting is lies. Not that I necessarily trust the other half, but at least I have it now. The nice Muslim couple gave me some pamphlets and a free Qu'ran.

I'm about two chapters in - execrable progress for a 4800 wpm reading rate, but the Qu'ran is dense. We're talking five-year-old-Christmas-doorstop-fruitcake dense. I point out, however, that it has't turned me into an insurgent or a suicide bomber - just like reading the Bible didn't turn me into a hateful, brainless fundie and make me give Pat Robertson all my money.

I'll let you know when I get to the part that tells me to kill all the infidels for Allah. I suspect it's analogous to the part in the Bible that tells me to drop bombs on women and children.

1 comment:

Islam And The West said...

Its refreshing to see someone who thinks outside conventional wisdom. An open mind always leads to a better understanding of issues and from there an ability to resolve conflicts.

Have a nice day.